As time runs out for the once dominant Red Bull, Daniel Ricciardo insists that the team will take any F1 power unit that they can get.
Ricciardo’s comments come just days after the owner of Red Bull, Dietrich Mateschitz, give the outfit until the weekend of November 21-22 to find an engine deal.
Although Red Bull racing haven’t officially split with current partner Renault, the team still have chosen to part ways even though their contract hasn’t yet ended. However, as things reach a critical stage for the Milton Keynes based giants, talks begin again with the French engine suppliers.
Things are approaching desperation point as earlier this week talks with Honder were called off (even though Red Bull Team Principal, Christian Horner, said at the Mexican Grand Prix that Honda were still ‘very keen’), and previously, Ferrari and Mercedes both said no to supplying Red Bull.
“I think that we will take what we can get because we want to be racing,” Ricciardo told Autosport. “Unless no one gives us an engine. That is the only thing that will stop us from racing.”
The Red Bull driver went on to say, “the longer it gets, the more difficult it becomes. I probably have more confidence that we’ll be on the grid than what I had before. I believe we’ll be on there because everyone wants to be.”
Once the winners of the constructors title four consecutive years in a row, Red Bull have failed to perform this year, only scoring three podiums between their two drivers. Red Bull persists that the Renault power unit is to blame for their lack of performance, yet Ricciardo feels that the team’s desire to win has not diminished.